His plans, His ways... are HIGHER

It was barely over a year ago that I received an email - 

A Happy New year! My name is Hiro. I am a member of Victory Chapel Saipan. I have a Father who lives in Sagamihara City who wishes to visit the church. But he is a very strong Atheist. I have been talking about Jesus to him, and I am very happy that he became interested. But I am sure his interest is still Christianity as Philosophy. I really want him to be saved but I am so worried that he might not be accepted by your church. And I know it will take a time for him to be saved.


Pastor. Is it possible for my father to visit your church? 

Thank you very much. I pray that my parents will be saved soon.

Respectfully Yours,
Hiro 


Some of you are familiar with the story of Hiro's father ("Mr. N"). About a week later I met with Hiro's dad, and we began what has now become a year-long journey together, exploring the Word of God.

So just this past November, Hiro got in touch with me again. Between his work coming to close in Saipan, and his family needing him here, Hiro prayed, and had decided to move back to Japan! 

They wasted no time, and Hiro and his wife Cherry made it to their very first service at the Potter's House Tokyo on Thanksgiving eve!


At the beginning, Hiro wasn't sure if the move was going to be temporary or not. He had begun looking into some different career opportunities, but hadn't found a job yet. Right away though, his wife was able to get a visa (one of the GOOD ones). 


Hiro, his wife Cherry and his father had been coming to both services on Sundays, to Wednesday night services, and to our Friday night outreach activity as well. After church one night, I took Hiro aside, intending to talk with him about ministry, and perhaps being an usher.


However, before I could even clear my throat and put on my "game face", Hiro began by saying that he had been meaning to talk with me! 


"This is not the same country I left years ago", he said. He went on to explain how everyone seems so lonely, distant and hopeless. How maybe God was calling him to stay, and do something about it. Maybe God wanted him to become a pastor someday. He asked what he needed to do to prepare for that... "Maybe an online seminary course?"


Well you can believe I gave him the whole "Cliff's Notes" version of discipleship and church planting!


So, the other day Hiro mentions to me that he had been offered a job. Praise God! 


Well, he ended up declining their offer. Hiro explained to them that he needed to have Sundays off (and Wednesday nights and Friday nights as well!). They looked at him as if he were crazy to turn down a job in this economy! (You know, I'm not sure, but this might be a "first" here in Japan...)


Today Hiro went back for what he thought was probably a closure interview. They started giving him the schedules for orientation and training, and he was wondering why. Apparently, they had hired him the first time, right on the spot ("Sundays-off" and all)!


Now some of you may be thinking "Pastor, pastor, pastor... That stuff goes on all the time. I've heard it before, shouted "amen", and bought the t-shirt".


But this is JAPAN! 


And you know what's REALLY exciting? - It's starting to happen all over again, just like it did in the beginning in Mexico City, and like it has in every country where any of us have ventured in and planted churches from scratch! 


This vision we've had, since the days of the Acts of the Apostles, STILL WORKS!


Excuse me. It's seems I've gotten something in my eye......



Comments

Melissa said…
What an awesome God we serve! And what a great fellowship to be a part of!

Popular posts from this blog

Wilderness Pioneering

Mr N comes to see Jesus by night